Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ben Giroux Interview - Jersey Shore Shark Attack




JSSA: Hello there Ben. 

Ben Giroux: Hello!

JSSA: How are you doing today?

Ben Giroux: It's a good day: I'm on the front of SyFy's website getting my head eaten by a super-sized albino shark.  So, you know, a typical Thursday.

JSSA: How was your experience playing the role of "Joey Pelligrino" in Jersey Shore Shark Attack?

Ben Giroux: I had an absolute blast working with such a talented, funny group of people.  It's always such a pleasure working on sets where both the cast and crew are genuinely having a great time.  John (the director) has a wonderful, positive demeanor -- and a wicked sense of humor.  Jeremy, Joey, Booko, Grant, and Dylan were all super rad.  I have a whole new appreciation for abdominal muscles and spray tans.

JSSA: What was your process for getting the role?

Ben Giroux: I've had some pretty crazy auditions in my life: I've hung from a man-sized baby bjorn, I've jumped around a casting office as a monkey-creature, and I've played a human bowling pin.  But my audition for "Jersey Shore Shark Attack" takes the cake: I had to mimic being eaten by a shark.  Easy in theory, hard in practice.  I like to really embody the roles I audition for -- but dismembering my limbs seemed like an excessive choice.  So, I listened to the JAWS theme song, screamed really loud, and BAM -- booked the part.  Take that, method acting.

JSSA: What were some of your favorite moments on set?

Ben Giroux: My character MC'ed a wet T-shirt content.  I will die a happy man.

JSSA: Was there one scene you think stands out for you?

Ben Giroux: The obvious scene that stands out is... SPOILER ALERT... where I get eaten by a shark.  There's a sentence you don't see everyday, right?  Here's the real horror story: we shot this movie in November at Redondo Beach Pier.  That's winter time, for those of you keeping score at home.  JP's costume couldn't accommodate a wet-suit, and I had to repeatedly dive into 46-degree water at 6:30 AM.  I could only be in the water for three minutes at a time before I started to lose feeling in my limbs.  It was definitely one of the most physically exhausting (and COLD!) experiences of my acting career -- but it was a total blast.  As George Costanza would say... "there was significant shrinkage."

JSSA: Do you feel there are positive and negative stereotypes because of the TV show Jersey Shore?

Ben Giroux: There is much to be analyzed from "Jersey Shore Shark Attack."  Stereotypes.  Socio-economic strife.  Geological implications.  World peace.  The entire film is actually a subtle commentary on existentialism.  And if you play the movie backwards, you can hear Joey Fatone whispering philosophical musings from Henry David Thoreau.  It's actually quite profound.

JSSA: What reactions are you expecting from your audience watching Jersey Shore Shark Attack?

Ben Giroux: Tears, screams, psychotic laughter -- total, utter chaos.  I'd expect nothing less.

JSSA: When and where can your fans watch Jersey Shore Shark Attack?

Ben Giroux: This Saturday night, June 9th, on SyFy!  It will also undoubtedly be available on DVD in the near future -- so buy it too!

JSSA: Do you have new projects on the burner to tell your fans about?

Ben Giroux: I've always got my hand in a myriad of projects.  My company, Small Red Cape, is producing a variety of comedy web and TV content.  Check out BenAndBurman.com and AwkwardUniverse.com for our latest work.  We're also moving into production on a new web project called "Sh*tty Dates" -- which is exactly what it sounds like.

In addition, I just filmed another movie with the JSSA crew (directed by Peter Sullivan), dubbed "Twister Warning!"  I'm apparently a masochist... I went from sharks to tornadoes.

JSSA: Where is the best place for Ben Giroux fans to find out the most information about those upcoming projects?

Ben Giroux: To stay up-to-date with all my projects, please check out BenGiroux.com and subscribe to me on Twitter @BenGiroux -- thanks!

JSSA: Thanks a bunch for taking the time out of your day to sit back and chat with us. We look so forward to seeing you as "Joey Pelligrino "on Jersey Shore Shark Attack.

My pleasure -- enjoy the movie!

-- Ben
Ben Giroux
Actor | Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment